Wednesday, September 20, 2006

birthdays and birkenstocks

tomorrow is my oldest (eldest?) sister's birthday. i believe she'll be 47. i should know these things, but we are very distant. physically by thousands of miles. emotionally, probably by decades.

i mentioned both my sisters in this post. i really stopped trying to be like the Eldest when she continued to refer to me as her baby sister. i was married. i had a job. and she was still in graduate school. who's the baby in this family?

both my sisters were in sororities. both my sisters have master's degrees. both my sisters were stay-at-home moms.

i really don't think it's jealousy that keeps us apart. i just don't think they understand what a day in my shoes is like.

i sent her a card. the Middle started a trend years ago when her twins were born that the family should focus on the kids when it comes to birthdays and holidays. i ignored this trend for the most-part because the stork had not brought the Punkin. my gifts were infrequent, and certainly not extravagant, but i continued to send gifts because even though i have issues with my own birthday, i think everyone should enjoy his or her day. and now, i have less time, less energy, and less enthusiasm for gift giving.

i intend to give both Middle and Eldest the book "In Her Shoes" by Jennifer Weiner for Christmas. the book truly made me feel like a failure as a sister, yet it is witty fiction of a beautiful sibling relationship that i'd like to share with them. it's too late to share the relationship. hopefully the story will suffice.

No comments: