Tuesday, September 19, 2006

hillbilly diaper solutions

el Jefe' normally gets up before i do, six days a week. i have morning shift with the Punkin, so either he goes into work early or he goes to the gym before work. (yes, he often works saturday mornings, too, in addition to monday through friday). in no way does this imply i am a late sleeper. i rarely get back to sleep after the alarm goes off, nor do i require an alarm to get up in the morning. it comes in handy when it comes to maintaining a schedule, but i would not wish my internal alarm clock on my worst enemies. i'm sure this is the aftermath of growing up in a household where sleeping in was the work of the devil.

once awake, i stew, and worry, and obsess. for the past twenty months or so, i have tried (unsuccessfully) to occupy my mind with something else, anything else, in order to relax and perhaps go back to sleep. i can repeat Dr. Seuss's ABC book entirely from memory, but that doesn't purge the anxiety from my mind in order to go back to sleep. occasionally the lyrics of a song go through my head (these days, it's something from the Music Together program, which beats old Bee Gees tunes anyday). i try, and it doesn't work. i really want to go back to sleep. i really want to sleep in past 6:00 am. lately, i turn on the light and read. it's an enjoyable alternative.

i heard Punkin this morning after my shower and before i was ready to get him out of bed. i still needed to get dressed, make his oatmeal, pour his milk, and load his diaper bag, my swim bag, and my important bag of shit (briefcase) into the car. i felt very guilty, listening to him sing the ABC song, knowing in my heart i have passed on the debilitating internal alarm clock gene to my son. when i entered his room, he was standing in his crib, holding his jammy shorts in one hand and his diaper in the other. a "ten pounds of pee" diaper, fortunately without poop.

my research says he's not ready for Pull Ups (you can't go back!). i guess we'll resort to duct tape.

No comments: