Friday, January 19, 2007

on the road again

the week has been nothing short of hectic. i was scheduled to leave wednesday afternoon for an audit in Walnut Creek, CA. my day started with several controversial emails from coworkers in other offices about my stupid government parking lot job, which continues to be a waste of time and money (and certainly my energies). i ended up being 10 minutes late for my biweekly ultrasounds. i was most frustrated by the fact that el Jefe' actually came to the appointment, which is rare. he is not one of those husbands that attends every appointment. frankly, i have too many, and i kind of look at is as my penance, my responsibility.

the appointment went fine. the Peanut is fine.

my flight was late. i returned to my car twice to make sure i locked it (pregnancy fog). i went through airport security twice (because it is so fun). i read probably a dozen process improvement nominations for my company's awards program, which will be celebrated in March following a trip to San Diego in February for final voting and awards program business. tentatively el Jefe' and the Punkin will accompany me to San Diego. that'll be a first in terms of my business travel in terms of the family tagging along. we'll see.

so i've been busy with the audit. we basically work 7 am to7 pm, and are very focused in order to get things done. i enjoy working with and very much respect the lead auditor. he has been a great sounding board, and a great mentor. my involvement in the audit program has guided my career in a slightly different direction, has provided the much-needed satisfaction that my unrewarding projects can't seem to provide, has opened a few doors, and frankly i've gotten some decent raises for the first time in my freaking 20-year career. i've been told those raises are due to my performance as a quality coordinator, which is a diffferent role than auditor but the two are complementary.

i'm on the schedule to audit our Portland office in October. i've all ready expressed my worries regarding the Peanut ... the audit schedule does not lend itself well to pumping every three to four hours. With Punkin, i just held off travel for 11 months until that part was over. i don't know where we'll be living (and absolutely dread the thought of cramming two adults, two kids, and two dogs into an apartment). but as the time passes, relocation looks like less of a possibility. i'm ok with that, a little disappointed, but it would be easier. i just hope we can focus some energy (and cash) into our current home (finish the back yard, replace flooring, maybe paint?) to make it more of a home. it's not really nesting. i'm just ready for a change.

i forgot to check-in on-line 24 hours in advance. now i'm in the B group tonight. i'm obviously off to a rousing start to commence some changes in my life. or maybe i'm just settling for mediocrity and the status quo.

No comments: