Monday, December 11, 2006

where's Elmo?


a couple weeks ago, el Jefe’ and i discussed what we were getting the Punkin for Christmas. we agree that all ready, in the less than two years Punkin has graced this planet, he has too many toys. it’s not that we run out and buy the latest and greatest advertised toy, or Punkin begs and pleads and says he has to have it. by far, the majority of his toys were gifts from others, or hand-me-downs from my twin nephews.

we don’t allow Punkin to watch tv, and may not for another year.

i was born without the shopping gene.

my internet skills are limited.

so, using your deductive powers of reasoning, you can see this is a challenge for me.

early this fall, i had Punkin in the stroller with me at JC Penney. i had a coupon(!), there was a sale(!), and he needed some clothes in the next size. OK. that’s a lie. i bought him both 24-month and 2T clothes because i honestly couldn’t figure out the difference (except the 2T’s were a smidge bigger and a dollar more expensive). as we passed the pajamas, i heard Punkin exclaim, “Eh-mo!”. (Elmo). i couldn’t figure out what he was talking about until i looked from his perspective (basically on my knees in the store). there were the licensed character pajamas, and there was Elmo. i thought it was a fluke, until we went past the licensed character sweatshirts, and there he was again, and Punkin exclaimed “Eh-mo!” my kid knows who Elmo is without ever watching Sesame Street, or tv whatsoever, and certainly no commercials.

a couple months later, we went to a family-friendly restaurant for dinner, and they featured a woman who created balloon animals. Punkin ended up with an Elmo balloon animal, which he caressed literally for weeks. (i think the eyes and nose still exist.)

so he’s getting an Elmo for Christmas. el Jefe’ and i agreed upon a plush, boring, non-electronic Elmo. no TMX Elmo. no Sing n’ Hum Elmo. no Elmo Loves You plush doll. just an Elmo without batteries. come to find out, this Elmo is special. this Elmo does not exist at Target. this Elmo does not exist at Toys R’ Us. this Elmo was available at Macy’s on-line, so i went to Macy’s over lunch even though i didn’t think they had a toy department. and they really don’t. so i called another local Macy’s and verified that no, they don’t have a toy department, either. so i tried Macy’s on-line. good news: plush Elmo was on sale! Bad news: plush Elmo was guaranteed to ship by January 18th, 2007. ha! not only after Christmas, but also after Punkin’s 2nd birthday!


Amazon.com came through. i found an unused plush Elmo, on sale, with $2.95 shipping, that basically was guaranteed to arrive before Christmas. worse came to worse, before Punkin’s January birthday. i ordered it last week, it shipped the next day, and it arrived this weekend.

and 12” plush Elmo arrived in a 6” box. i was frustrated. and i was pissed. until i opened the box and discovered Elmo was bound and folded at the waist (bondage Elmo?). el Jefe’ is certain he’ll love it. i just hope i get better at this.

4 comments:

devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

Wow, I didn't know they made non-electronic Elmos either. When my kids were younger, they had a botched Hug Me Elmo that I wish I still had.

Anonymous said...

Girl, someone bought Amara an Elmo for her first Christmas (it may have been Limbo Elmo or Tickle Me Elmo but honestly they're all the same to me) and I thought I was going to pummel it because its laughs drove me batty! So congrats on finding a quiet Elmo!

Heather @ thedomesticdiva.org said...

big lots has plushy elmos. if you have one of those stores near you. My son is gaga over elmo and all things sesame street. I've got ever elmo toy out there. This year for christmas and his two year old birthday it is all elmo themed. I went to big lots to find a cookie plushie and an ernie plushie since those are now his favorites. All they had were elmo and ernie plushies, so we got the "quiet" ernie one since we have like 50 singing giggling annoying elmos.

Anonymous said...

El Jefe. Chuckle. Love that. Reminds me of The Three Amigos. "Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas Jefe?" Sometimes I call my DH El Guapo in memory of the fine film.